August 31, 2013

A Case for Guns

Let me be absolutely clear on this; I have zero problem with people owning guns.  I do not own one, but I do like shooting them.  In fact, I might even pick me up an AR15 when I get back to the States (fuck AK47s); AR15s are W way more fun!

What I do not and can not agree with is how political gun ownership has become in our country and how polarizing an issue it is.  And while I do not always find agreement with the the pro gun lobby, as well, I do not always find agreement with the gun control lobby.  However, after reading about this jewel heist (I always love reading about jewel and art heists; just seems so glamorous and something I wish I could pull off ala Thomas Crowne), I find myself definitively on the side of pro guns and their argument that if more people were armed, there's be less crime.

Or Why I am in Favor of Guns

I mean, there were two, back to back, in which the robbers were armed and the guards were not.  And this quote from a non-profit director in Switzerland can be filed right alongside equally puzzling logic from the pro-gun crowd:

"Given that civilian possession of weapons is much less available, they're unlikely to have weapons because they're unlikely to be facing people with weapons."

I get it, I understand that this is Europe where not everyone is as trigger happy as those in the US, but being assigned to guard millions of dollars worth of jewels, and especially after there was a robbery just a little while ago and especially more so when the hotel and the area seem to have a penchant for having jewels stolen, it just seems to me, in my perhaps rather pedestrian world view, that had one guard at least had a handgun, perhaps things might have turned out different.

No comments: